Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Game one done

I went to my first Amy soccer game last night. Thankfully it wasn’t raining. Or burning hot. Or freezing cold. All I’ve heard of soccer is that I’ll be miserable watching the games, so I’m thankful the weather cooperated. And I sincerely hope I haven’t jinxed the rest of the season.

My initial thoughts: dang, that field is humongous, and dang, they run around for a very long time without stopping.

Amy plays forward, which means something to people who know about soccer but nothing to me. All I know is she was on the far end of the humongous field, far away from me. I need to figure out where she’ll be before Thursday’s game so I can sit closer to her side. I know she’ll be thrilled.

One reason I’m not a fan of my children playing sports is because watching the games brings out the absolute worst in me. All I wanted to do yesterday was scream, “STOP HER! KICK HER IN THE SHINS!” But this is a Christian league, and more importantly, I am a Christian, so I made myself content with, “Go!” And I clinched my hands a lot. I had nail marks in my palms. I get entirely too invested in these games…

One fabulous bonus to going to the game is visiting with friends. I had no idea how many people I know have daughters on the team. So, yay for seeing friends.

And yay for my daughter trying something new. Out of all the teams (junior high, JV, varsity) she was the only one older than 10 who was playing for the first time. All the other girls her age have years of experience under their belts. She is brave, brave, brave.

I am still not 100% thrilled she decided to play soccer this season, but I am 100% impressed with my girl. She’s giving it her all, and unlike Michael, didn’t point to a single car in the parking lot the entire game.

Go, Green, go!

5 comments:

  1. "But this is a Christian league, and more importantly, I am a Christian"

    hahaha :) I'm so proud of Amy for doing soccer this year. She's the bomb! I can't wait to see one of her games!

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to have you on the sidelines cheering and gasping! ;) You did great for your first game as a soccer mom! Most of us as well, have many years of this under our belts. ;)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soccer is fun!!! Forward, she must be very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph - she's really doing well, all things considered!

    Traci - yes, you are much more experienced at watching soccer, which was obvious yesterday when you had an umbrella and I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about competitive sports bringing out the worst in you -- me too :) About severed my tongue a few times trying to keep it from wagging!
    Good for Amy! Jumping in like she has definitely shows she is one strong young lady!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!