Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thankful Tuesday

Today I’m thankful for Homeschool Performing Arts (HPA), the drama group that has become a family affair. Rebecca was in their production of 101 Dalmatians, Amy’s in Anne of Green Gables, and all five of us are in The Wizard of Oz. The kids will be on stage (Michael is Uncle Henry, Amy’s a jitterbug/poppy and Rebecca’s in the Lullaby League), Sean will conduct the orchestra and I’ll help behind the scenes.

I’m not much of an actor and I’m even less of a singer, but thankfully I don’t have to be either to participate in HPA. They need people who can send emails and coordinate schedules, so I do get to play a role. (Haha, see what I did there - play a role? I am cracking myself up.) I love being at rehearsals, getting to know the kids and parents, helping in the ways I can to get the show on the stage. And the people I get to work with - simply amazing!

I was talking with a friend recently about the arts and culture, and we were bemoaning the fact that so much of what passes for art these days is drivel at best and obscene at worst. And we have no one to blame but ourselves, because Christians abandoned the arts years ago. While we’ve had our heads in the sand, others have come along and defined the culture. Now that we’re shaking the dirt from our ears it almost feels like it’s too late for us to make a difference.

But HPA gives kids the chance to participate in the arts without having to sacrifice their convictions. And they’re learning valuable skills they’ll be able to use the rest of their lives, even if they don’t go into the arts. But for those who are interested in pursuing a career in theater, HPA gives kids the chance to really be a part of the show – from acting to playing in the pit, working on the stage crew, running sound and lights and doing hair and makeup.

I’m so thankful I drug my kids to that first audition four years ago. I though it would be good for the kids; I had no idea it would be a blessing for our whole family. 


Tickets to Anne of Green Gables (January 5, 6, 7) are on sale now! Go to www.hpami.org to get yours! I hear the young lady playing Diana Barry is pretty darn cute...







1 comment:

  1. Wow. You just summed up my thought exactly-- that we, as Christians, abandoned the arts...

    And now what a struggle it is to make a dent in what the culture as become.

    You'd love Dr. Patton here at the college-- he believes passionately in turning out students who will be active in the arts.

    Meanwhile-- I'm glad that you are all involved together-- what a great thing to share as a family! Break some Duffy legs!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!