Monday, May 14, 2012

Keep Excel to yourself

Last Sunday, Sean and two other gentlemen from church had to give announcements. The first, a businessman and the second, an attorney, each spoke sans notes. Sean, though, got up and proudly flashed his paper, saying, “I’m an engineer and I use notes!” He proceeded to go down his list, hit all his points and sit down. (Trust me when I say he would not have taken his seat if he hadn’t ticked off each point.)

Last night, a friend who is also married to an engineer and witnessed the announcements, told me she thought we should have a support group for wives of engineers. She mentioned that her husband regularly tries to get her to make lists and charts to show progress in her endeavors.  We had a good laugh at that, and another when I told her that Sean, thinking he was being helpful, said he’d be willing to make a chart of my modest weight loss. “We could show the downward slope of the …” He said more but I honestly could not make sense of it because the horror of the thought caused my brain to shut down. Number one, if Sean thinks I’m going to tell him how much I weigh, he is living in La La Land, and number two, there is no way I want a chart of that hanging around.
 
I cannot count the number of times Sean has suggested a chart for this or a graph for that. When we have our weekly budget chats he wants to see the pie chart and the bar graph of our spending. Man, just show me the numbers, let’s make sure they’re all black and I’m good to go. Not him. Oh, no. He has to inspect each line and bar and make sure everything’s A OK. Which he would know if he’d just look at the pretty, black numbers…

Now, if you’re not married to an engineer, you may not understand the need for such a support group; if you are, however, I know you want to join.  I’m thinking about holding meetings at a local coffee shop. I’m sure Sean would love to come up with a check-in sheet and would gladly graph the attendance. 




6 comments:

  1. We'll need to have secret meetings where the engineers won't find us... I'm thinking in the knitting aisle of Michael's... or an art museum... or the shoe department of Macy's.

    If we write in cursive they won't bother looking at our notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Termione - you have some genius ideas! I especially like meeting in the shoe department!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the suggestion of meeting at the shoe dept. at Macy's! My husband is a teacher with the mind of an engineer...remind me to tell you the story of when he went to Meijer to get toilet paper! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa2:51 PM

    Ha! Funny Christy! We weren't there last week to hear his announcement, but I was just thinking about how you always have the most stylish shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:04 PM

    LOL! And at our meetings, no one will be allowed mechanical pencils or graph paper, unless they intend to fold it or doodle mindless nonsense on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha
    My sister married an engineer and years ago I sent her a Dear Abby column about how engineers are different :) I just looked it up and you can read part of the column here: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-09-13/lifestyle/9309100899_1_dear-ann-landers-engineers-wife
    I think it's pretty funny that with most couples you have one who has engineering tendencies and the other who is rather *ahem*, shall we just say, less organized? :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!