Monday, August 27, 2012

The new normal

So, the boy's in college. His first class started this morning at 8:00 am. He starts M-Th at 8:00 am. Wonder how that's going to go... 

The night before we left to move him in was spent as most other nights are spent in our house: talking about cars:
The boys, pouring over an Auto Trader.

Friday morning we loaded up Sean's truck and were on the road by 7:30 am. 


When we arrived at the school, everything was easy to find, including his new home-away-from-home:


I have to think the RA's girlfriend helped with the door decorations.

He set up his desk while Amy and I made the bed.


Sean had that license plate on the wall of his dorm room, too.

We met his roommate:
Santi, from Ohio. He's on the golf team. 
Michael is trying to overlook the fact that he drives a Honda.

The school had a Bridge Ceremony that signified the students were now a part of the NU Wolf Pack. It was well done, but holy cow, it was hot in that gym!


After the ceremony, we gave him a hug, got two more pictures, and were on our way.



My cousin, Beth, said a quick goodbye was key, and our goodbye was quick. Too quick for my liking, but I'm pretty sure no goodbye would have been to my liking. I held it together in front of him. I even did pretty well in the car. But when we stopped for dinner and got a table for four, I cried like a baby. I'm sure the rest of the crowd in Wendy's thought I'd lost my mind. 

So today starts our new normal, which includes having a college freshman, a high school junior and a 7th grader, not to mention we also have a new driver in the family. There's all kinds of change going on in our humble abode. 

I used to think I handled change well; I hope I was right.









1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting for Michael!

    And it sounds like you are handling the change pretty darn well!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!